(Quick Changeover Training, Set-Up Reduction Training)
Set-up Reduction, also known as Quick Changeover is a systematic approach that enables organisations to build on the principles of the Single Minute Exchange of Die (SMED) system to dramatically reduce or eliminate changeover time. Set-up time is the time elapsed at a work centre from when the last good part of the current run is completed until the work centre starts running the first good part of the next run. Lengthy set-up times drive optimisation toward a reduced number of set-ups, larger batch sizes and larger buffering work-in-process inventories and poor process flow and performance.
Since set-up activities add no marketable form, fit, or function to the product, they are by definition non-value adding. By reducing set-up time, more set-ups can be completed each day. SMED allows batch size reduction, which is critical for flow and improves manufacturing flexibility.
This 1-day training introduces participants to the tools and techniques of set-up reduction, a key Lean tool. The training will be a mixture of lectures and actual shopfloor exercises to identify and apply the lessons learned to a practical set-up reduction situation. Techniques for set-up reduction will be presented through case studies of actual applications.
Duration: 1 Day
Engineering and Maintenance Personnel, Manufacturing and Production Shopfloor Supervisors, Set-up Personnel and Operators.
This course will enable participants to:
- Understand the principles of set-up reduction and SMED
- Understand the benefits of applying set-up reduction to achieve true flow production systems
- Understand the different set-up reduction tools and techniques
- Gain a working knowledge of the tools and techniques to effectively implement set-up reduction through the hands-on workshop
- Background of SMED
- Moving from Batching to Flow Processes
- Types of Set-up Activities
- Internal Set-up
- External Set-up
- Basic Steps in Set-up Process
- Stages of Set-up Improvement
- Separating Internal and External Set-up
- Converting Internal to External Set-up
- Streamlining the Set-up Operation
- Techniques for Applying SMED
- Advance Preparations
- Function Standardisation
- Implementation of Parallel Operations
- Elimination of Adjustments
- Standardising Set-ups
- Case Studies
- Hands-on Workshop
You may be interested to explore our full range of Lean Training programmes.