Theory of Constraints Training
The Theory of Constraints (TOC) is a system-based management approach that provides the means to optimise organisational performance. According to TOC, every organisation has, at any given point in time, at least one constraint which limits the system’s performance relative to its goal.
These constraints can be broadly classified as either an internal constraint or a market constraint. In order to manage the performance of the system, the constraint must be identified and managed correctly.
TOC, a Lean tool, is a useful methodology for managing production / service delivery planning and scheduling. TOC recognises critical bottlenecks, which are the most overloaded resources that determine the maximum flow rate of production / service delivery, and makes value flow through these bottlenecks. It allows organisations to optimise production / service delivery through their critical bottlenecks in order to meet market demand.
This 1-day training will introduce participants to the principles, processes and applications of TOC. Through the hands-on workshop, participants will learn how to use and apply the TOC thinking process tools to effectively manage constraints in their organisation’s value streams and optimise flow.
Duration: 1 Day
Managers, Engineers, Supervisors and Operational Staff.
This course will enable participants to:
- Appreciate systems thinking
- Understand the nature of constraints
- Understand the principles, basic processes and applications of TOC
- Understand how to manage constraints effectively
- Gain practical knowledge of the use and application of the TOC thinking process tools
- Types of Constraints
- Basic Principles of TOC
- TOC and the Critical Chain Approach
- Basic Processes of TOC
- The Five Focusing Steps of Managing Constraints
- Applications of TOC
- System Design
- TOC Thinking Processes
- Current Reality Tree (CRT)
- Evaporating Cloud (Conflict resolution diagram or CRD)
- Core Conflict Cloud (CCC)
- Future Reality Tree (FRT)
- Negative Branch Reservations (NBR)
- Positive Reinforcement Loop (PRL)
- Prerequisite Tree (PRT)
- Transition Tree (TT)
- Strategy & Tactics (S&T)
- Performance Measurements
- Operating costs
- Integrated Solutions
- Drum-Buffer-Rope Management
- Market Demand-Pull (Replenishment)
- Hands-on Workshop
You may be interested to explore our full range of Lean Training programmes.