(With Visual Management)
5S is a workplace organization method that uses a list of five Japanese words: Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu, and Shitsuke. The English version of 5S are: Sort, Set, Shine, Standardize, and Sustain.
5S is a simple but power Lean tool and provides a foundation for the Lean environment. It helps to eliminate waste, improve predictability and standardization, and visual management.An organised workplace reduces non-value added activities of looking for information, tools and materials, and allows employees to communicate visually. Applying 5S generates positive impact on the quality of products and services in any organization. Safety, productivity, and the utilization rate of the company’s occupied workspace and equipment are also impacted. Maintaining an organised workplace is key to continued success for the Lean organisation.
This course also provides additional coverage on Visual Management. Visual management is an improvement process to create a workplace that supports company-wide integration of workplace organization, standardization, visual control, visual display, and visual metrics.
5S provides for the necessary infrastructure and cultural changes in sustaining the Lean (also known as Toyota Production System or TPS) programme and initiatives.
Duration: 1 Day
Managers, operational and support staff from both the manufacturing and service (including banking and finance, logistics, healthcare, government and public service) sectors
Participants will, upon completion of this program, successfully demonstrate their ability to:
- Understand the meaning and importance of applying 5S in the workplace and in the entire organisation’s processes and departments.
- Understand how 5S can improve the workplace and the organization as a whole
- Identify the 5S challenges in a given area
- Lead and participate in any 5S activity within the organisation
- Introduction and Overview
- 5S and Workplace Organisation
- Why 5S?
- How does 5S eliminate Organisational Wastes?
- 5S as a Pre-requisite for Lean
- Introduction to the Five Pillars of 5S
- Description of the Five Pillars
- Common Types of Resistance to 5S Implementation
- Benefits of 5S Implementation
- The First Pillar: Sort
- Explanation of the First Pillar
- How to Sort
- Steps in Red-Tagging
- Accumulation of Unneeded Items
- Red-Tagging Suggestions and Reminders
- The Second Pillar: Set in Order
- Explanation of the Second Pillar
- How to Set in Order
- The Third Pillar: Shine
- Explanation of the Third Pillar
- How to Implement Shine
- The Fourth Pillar: Standardize
- Explanation of the Fourth Pillar
- How to Implement Standardized Cleanup
- Making Sort, Set in Order, and Shine a Habit
- Taking it to the Next Level: Prevention
- The Fifth Pillar: Sustain
- Explanation of the Fifth Pillar
- How to Sustain 5S Activities
- Visual Management
- 5S Kaizen
- Tools and Techniques to Help 5S Implementation
- Formulating a Project Plan of Implementation
- Critical Success Factors
- 5S Live Audit
Contact us now and our friendly customer service consultants will be in touch with you to design the best consulting & training solution that is tailored to your requirements.
Check out our Lean Training, Six Sigma Training, Lean Six Sigma Training, Continuous Improvement Training or the full range of Training Courses for relevant courses on how to streamline & improve your business processes.