(Quick Changeover Training, Set-Up Reduction Training)
Set-up Reduction, also known as Quick Changeover is a systematic approach that enables organisations to build on the principles of the Single Minute Exchange of Die (SMED) system to dramatically reduce or eliminate changeover time. Set-up time is the time elapsed at a work centre from when the last good part of the current run is completed until the work centre starts running the first good part of the next run. Lengthy set-up times drive optimisation toward a reduced number of set-ups, larger batch sizes and larger buffering work-in-process inventories and poor process flow and performance.
Since set-up activities add no marketable form, fit, or function to the product, they are by definition non-value adding. By reducing set-up time, more set-ups can be completed each day. SMED allows batch size reduction, which is critical for flow and improves manufacturing flexibility.
This 1-day training introduces participants to the tools and techniques of set-up reduction. The training will be a mixture of lectures and actual shopfloor exercises to identify and apply the lessons learned to a practical set-up reduction situation. Techniques for set-up reduction will be presented through case studies of actual applications.
Duration: 1 Day
Engineering and Maintenance Personnel, Manufacturing and Production Shopfloor Supervisors, Set-up Personnel and Operators.
This course will enable participants to:
- Understand the principles of set-up reduction and SMED
- Understand the benefits of applying set-up reduction to achieve true flow production systems
- Understand the different set-up reduction tools and techniques
- Gain a working knowledge of the tools and techniques to effectively implement set-up reduction through the hands-on workshop
- Background of SMED
- Moving from Batching to Flow Processes
- Types of Set-up Activities
- Internal Set-up
- External Set-up
- Basic Steps in Set-up Process
- Stages of Set-up Improvement
- Separating Internal and External Set-up
- Converting Internal to External Set-up
- Streamlining the Set-up Operation
- Techniques for Applying SMED
- Advance Preparations
- Function Standardisation
- Implementation of Parallel Operations
- Elimination of Adjustments
- Standardising Set-ups
- Case Studies
- Hands-on Workshop
Kaizen Consulting Group
Tel: (65) 68484109
When making an enquiry by phone, please leave your name, company name, email address and contact number for us to respond to you. Your email address is important as it allows us to send an email to you when we cannot reach you by phone.
We respect your privacy and all information will be kept strictly confidential. We will not share or trade your contact information with any third parties.